Which Bible verses could I use?
“Which Bible verses could I use to minister to gay and transgender folks?” and
“Which verses could I use to open up dialogue about sexuality and gender?”
The best verses are the ones you already know well and use often—the verses related to love, justice, hospitality, and beloved community.
When you are reminding your congregation about Jesus’ example of standing with those whom society has marginalized, you can include lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and their families as an example of those who are marginalized.
When you are speaking of justice for all people, you can raise the same issues of justice that you raise for everyone—discrimination in employment, health care, housing, etc.—that LGBT people and their families also face. And so on.
Following are some ideas to help you make the connections. We know that you’re already preaching and teaching from these verses. Upon reflection, the connections will become more obvious, and you’ll see opportunities everywhere you turn.
- Jeremiah 31:3— I have loved you with an everlasting love
- Luke 10:27—the Great Commandments
- I Cor. 16:14—Let all you do be done in love
- Romans 12:9-13—Let love be genuine
- John 15:12—Love one another as I have loved you
- Romans 13:8-10—Love one another
- John 13:34-35—Everyone will know you…by your love
- 1 John 4:7-11—Let us love one another because God is love
- 1 John 4: 19-21—We love because God first loved us
- John 3:16—For God so loved the world
- 1 Cor. 13—Love Chapter
- Micah 6:8—What does the Lord require of you but to do justice…
- Psalm 33:5—God loves righteousness and justice
- Psalm 106:3—Happy are those who do observe justice
- Isaiah 58:6-11—The Lord desires kindness and justice
- Matthew 12:18—I will pour out my Spirit… and he will proclaim justice
- Amos 5:24—Righteousness flows like a stream
- Luke 4:18—The Lord has anointed me to preach good news…
- Matthew 7:12—Do to others as you would have them do to you
- Hebrews 13:1-2—Strangers
- Luke 19:1-10—Zacchaeus
- Luke 10:29-37—Good Samaritan
- Luke 14:7-24—Great Dinner
- John 13:1-20—Foot washing
- Acts 8:14-17—Samaritans
- Acts 8:38-39—Eunuch
- Acts 10:45-48—Gentiles
- Acts 16:13-15—Women
- Galatians 3:26-28—…You are all children of God
- Matthew 25:31-46—If you did it to the least of these…
- Matthew 12:46-50—Whoever does the will of God…
- Ephesians 4:4-5—There is one body, one Spirit…
- Ephesians 2:19—So then you are no longer strangers…
- John 10:16—I have other sheep…
- I Cor. 12:26—If one suffers, all suffer
- I Cor. 12:12-17, 24-27—The body, though made of many parts…
Please give credit: The person or organization who contributed this resource has made it available for you to download free for use for worship or education in your congregation or faith community. Whenever you use it, please attribute to the contributors as they are named, adding the words, "downloaded at ManyVoices.org." Use of this resource for commercial purposes is expressly prohibited.
Please give feedback: To share anything about your experience using this resource, enter your comments below. Your feedback helps build a vibrant community.
Please give a donation: If you appreciate the opportunity for free downloads, please consider a donation so we can continue offering guidance to all who seek to broaden their welcome.